Well, I never thought this day would actually come! I mean, of course, I knew, if the Lord tarried and kept you, my dear son, that we would have to participate in some sort of schooling....BUT IT'S HERE! The last year, you have counted down the months, then weeks and finally days, and your dad and I have prayed and researched and prayed and did I mention.....pray. We finally chose Greater Beckley Christian School. And so, on August 17th, 2015, your official education began. But let me tell you about the night before....
You have always been a good sleeper, I often have to wake you in the mornings and you have never, I repeat...NEVER have gotten out of bed! Well, about 10 minutes after we had put you to bed the night before the big day.....we heard you jump, then the pitter patter of your feet and as your dad and I looked at each other with questioning eyes, your bedroom door opened and out you came! "Um, I can't sleep. Are you going to remember to wake me up in the morning?"
4:00am....."Mom, don't forget to wake me up!"
4:15am....."Mom, is it time yet? How will you remember to get me up?"
4:30....."Mom, promise not to forget!"
4:15am......I brought you into bed with me!
6:15am, my alarm went off....you were ready to get up
Needless to say....we had plenty of time to get ready that morning. After some "first day of school" pictures, you hugged your dad, prayed together and off we went. Right before we walked into your classroom you grabbed my hand and said "I think I'm shy!" Somehow, I held back my tears and said "that's ok, let's go see your room." We hung your backpack, but your blanket in your cubby and sharpened a couple pencils. I knelt down and said it was time for me to go. "No", you said. You are far from being a perfect child, but it's not often you talk you to mother like that! It was obvious we both were struggling so I said I could stay a few more minutes. Soon, Mrs. Hunt came by and I asked her if it was time for me to go. She said, "Yes, Caleb, but that means we can start our day and we have lots to do." And that settled it! That was the final exchange that catapulted you into kindergarten. I gave you one last kiss and headed toward the door. When I looked back, you were busy with your papers and had a smile on your face.
But that wasn't it.....oh no! The second your mom walked out of that door, I pretty much took off into a run. The kindergarten room is literally the farthest from the front door of the school. I ran by the third grade teacher (who I'm good friends with) with a quick wave and missed the turn for the stairs. Finally making it downstairs, I turned right, instead of left and when I turned back around the principal was holding up tissues. I literally ran by, said "thanks" but didn't grab the tissue!
I didn't have to pull over on the way to work....but I'm glad for all the extra napkins we keep in the glove compartment. Thankfully, the day went quickly.
Your dad thought he would pick you up by himself...ha! As Mrs. Hill, your principal, walked you out, I jumped out of the jeep and grabbed you up! "I met 1,000 new friends!" were your first words. Preceded quickly by, "Nap time was soooooooo boring!" We did it! We all had made it through the first day!
God is good!

No comments:
Post a Comment